Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Istanbul Day5

Is it really possible that each day out did the one before it?
Really now? Just try to one up this.

View from the Restaurant on top of the hotel
(you could see the sun beam glancing off the water)

Topkapi
(the floor here was so cool)

(entrance to the Harem)

(another shot of the floor)

(holes in the ceiling allowed light in. it just lit the one side of the room)

(Queen Mother's chambers. beautiful chandelier)

(amazing craftsmanship, another floor shot)

(I loved these niches in the wall. So useful, yet decorative)

(awkward moment... still not sure what's going on here or why...)

(domed ceiling and lantern in the Sultan's Chambers)

(view through the window out onto the grounds below)

(perforated ceilings with shapes)

(the Prince's chambers; I would have given anything to have been him)

(why put sinks in the WINDOWS?... why NOT put sinks in the windows!)

(a look at the tile variety. here was excavation/study still in progress)

(loggia out to the final and most intimate court)

(oh that? that's just a rain gutter/drain... useful and gorgeous)

(the grounds)

(more of the grounds. I was moving quickly now because I was running out of time, but I had to stop to get this shot)

(views of Asia... so breath taking)

(I wish I had had more time)

On the boat to Uskudar
(this was the best decision of the entire trip)

(view looking back toward Europe as the sun approaches the horizon)

(the ferry reached the Uskudar stop. one more photo before I get off. no idea who that guy is...)

Kamera Sistemiyle Gozetlenmektedir
(finally a clear shot of the Mirab! I liked how clean this Keblar wall was. This mosque was more horizontal than the ones in Europe; it made a noticeable difference that we all felt)

(I kept an eye on the window to make sure we didn't miss the sunset)

Sunset
(waiting for the ferry)

(oh please hurry. can you imagine being on the ferry, watching the sunset, and hearing the call to prayer...)

(once on the ferry, the sun had slipped behind the clouds, but its glow was still so beautiful. this day, these images- along with the ones I couldn't record because my camera died- will be forever burned in my mind, a fact I wouldn't trade for anything in the world)

Boat to Dinner
(looking back at Europe. Who cares about the cold? There are somethings in life you CANNOT miss)

No comments:

Post a Comment